The Gods Must Be Crazy

• TOP NOTCH (my top choices)
• HONORABLE MENTION (well worth watching)
• YOU MIGHT WANT TO CONSIDER (I like them but you might not)
• CLASSICS (Great movies up through the 1960s - many don't have any rating)

THE GODS MUST BE CRAZY (1980) - PG - HONORABLE MENTION  
N!xau, Marius Weyers, Sandra Prinsloo   

Summary -  A comic allegory about a traveling Bushman who encounters modern civilization and its stranger aspects, including a clumsy scientist and a band of revolutionaries.

Cautions - In the beginning of the movie there is Nation Geographic kinds of nudity as we see the life of the Bushman's tribe shot in a documentary style.

Commentary - I'll tell you up front that I'm always conflicted recommending this film. Film critics loved it. I think it is very clever and a slapstick comedy that really works. But the Bush-people of the Serengeti don't do much with clothes and although it doesn't bother me, I know it will be a problem for others. So what to do?

I guess all I can do it tell you why I like it. It's very funny. It also explores some very interesting questions: How do our relationships change when we claim ownership of something God gave to everyone? What is it worth to get rid of something in our lives that creates contention? What is the price we pay when we think ours is the right and only way to see the world? Does a rhinoceros really stomp out camp fires when it sees them?

Now, the director wasn't interested in allegory. He was just trying to tell a funny story. But the film lends itself to more than just empty laughs. The Bushman makes us look at all the crazy in our world and ask ourselves if it's really all that necessary. You can't help but cheer for the poor Bushman who's just trying to complete his mission and get back home.


Comments

Popular Posts