Big

• TOP NOTCH (my top choices)
• HONORABLE MENTION (well worth watching)
• YOU MIGHT WANT TO CONSIDER (I like them but you might not)
• CLASSICS (Great movies up through the 1960s - many don't have any rating)

BIG (1988) - PG - YOU MIGHT WANT TO CONSIDER  
Tom Hanks, Elizabeth Perkins, Robert Loggia   

Summary -  After wishing to be made big, a teenage boy wakes the next morning to find himself mysteriously in the body of an adult.

Cautions - This movie barely made the list and comes with a couple "Big" cautions.
• Language - casual swearing throughout but a surprising F-word from a 13 year old.
• Sex - It's still hard to get past the creep factor of a 13 year old boy sleeping with a grown woman even if he is inhabiting an adult body. That was a strange story choice.

Commentary - There are so many great things offered in this film - Great concept, wonderful performances, lots of heart and a touching message. I think the script for the most part is very clever and it's a joy to see the transformation in the characters. So, why include the ridiculous choices listed in my "Cautions" section above? I can only assume that the makers of this movie couldn't quite figure out who their audience was. It's not a kids movie but it feels like it should be. I wish it was the kind of movie that kids and grown-ups could watch together and talk about what it is to be a kid and a grown-up... but it's really not.

I really enjoy the movie for all that it is and tries to be but I would make two key edits if I could (they are listed above) and then I would be a lot more anxious to recommend it.

Comments

Popular Posts