WarGames

• TOP NOTCH (my top choices)
• HONORABLE MENTION (well worth watching)
• YOU MIGHT WANT TO CONSIDER (I like them but you might not)
• CLASSICS (Great movies up through the 1960s - many don't have any rating)

WARGAMES (1983) - PG - TOP NOTCH
Matthew Broderick, Ally Sheedy, John Wood   

Summary - A young man finds a back door into a military central computer in which reality is confused with game-playing, possibly starting World War III.

Cautions -Some language and thematic elements

Commentary - Do you remember enjoying this movie when you were young? I've got great news for you - it holds up remarkably well. It is still funny, suspenseful, clever and just a bit romantic. I worried it was just my nostalgia talking but all of my kids have really enjoyed it even though it is one of "Dad's old films." And, hey, it was nominated for three Academy Awards!

I appreciate Michael Reuben's comment -
"WarGames is a superior entertainment, and it has remained so even as both the underlying technology and geopolitics have been completely transformed. As with many pop movies, the real attraction is wish fulfillment. One can only dream that a couple of plucky teenagers and a really smart computer are all it would take to show the world's leaders the error of their ways."

Comments

Popular Posts