Driving Miss Daisy

• TOP NOTCH (my top choices)
• HONORABLE MENTION (well worth watching)
• YOU MIGHT WANT TO CONSIDER (I like them but you might not)
• CLASSICS (Great movies up through the 1960s - many don't have any rating)

DRIVING MISS DAISY (1989) - PG - TOP NOTCH
  Morgan Freeman, Jessica Tandy, Dan Aykroyd    

Summary -  An elderly Jewish widow living in Atlanta can no longer drive. Her son insists she allow him to hire a driver, which in the 1950s meant a black man. She resists any change in her life but, Hoke, the driver is hired by her son. She refuses to allow him to drive her anywhere at first, but Hoke slowly wins her over with his native good graces. The movie covers over twenty years of the pair's life together as they slowly build a relationship that transcends their differences.

Cautions - Themes of prejudice. But it's also incredibly charming.

Commentary - I could tell you that the film won four of the nine Academy Awards it was nominated for, including Best Picture. I could go on and on about the absolutely brilliant writing and exemplary performances by superior actors. I could announce in bold type that this is a movie that gets everything right!

But instead, I'm just going to plead with you to watch the first 5 minutes. That's all. I know you don't think you are going to like it. I mean, even the poster is boring, right? Just watch the first 5 minutes and if you don't like it, don't watch the rest. But I'm willing to bet that you'll get hooked in the first 5 minutes... and I'll bet you'll be humming Hans Zimmer's sprightly score in an hour and a half when you're done.

You are welcome.


Comments

Popular Posts