Uncle Buck

• TOP NOTCH (my top choices)
• HONORABLE MENTION (well worth watching)
• YOU MIGHT WANT TO CONSIDER (I like them but you might not)
• CLASSICS (Great movies up through the 1960s - many don't have any rating)

UNCLE BUCK (1989) - PG - YOU MIGHT WANT TO CONSIDER
  John Candy, Macaulay Culkin, Jean Louisa Kelly    

Summary -  Bachelor and all round slob, Buck, babysits his brother's rebellious teenage daughter and her cute younger brother and sister.

Cautions - Pervasive PG rated swearing (it is a John Hughes movie) and a scene of sensuality involving teens. Also, the biggest pancake stack in movie history (it might make you hungry)

Commentary - I love a redemption story and that's the intent of this movie. Uncle Buck, a commitment-phobic slob, is called in to help take care of his nieces and nephew. The teenage girl, filled with resentment and angst (because it's a John Hughes movie she also gives a LOT of stink-eye in close-up), wages war on the interfering uncle but they end up bettering each other in the end.

I am fully on board with the concept but I'm left with the struggle of who to recommend this movie to. With all the bad language, it's not really for kids but at times it seems like it should be. Is it too young for teens? Not sure.

What I can tell you is that John Candy is fantastic and there are "laugh out loud" funny moments and some that will tug at your heartstrings. Jean Louisa Kelly might be my favorite 80s troubled teen and is perfectly cast. And can I just say... bring back longcoats, scarves and cool hats! I really like how she dresses - bring back a little class!

Comments

Popular Posts