Hook

• TOP NOTCH (my top choices)
• HONORABLE MENTION (well worth watching)
• YOU MIGHT WANT TO CONSIDER (I like them but you might not)
• CLASSICS (Great movies up through the 1960s - many don't have any rating)

HOOK (1991) - PG - HONORABLE MENTION
 Dustin Hoffman, Robin Williams, Julia Roberts |   

Summary -  When Captain Hook kidnaps his children, an adult Peter Pan must return to Neverland and reclaim his youthful spirit in order to challenge his old enemy.

Cautions - Some casual swearing and cartoon violence. There are also some genuinely sad moments.

Commentary - There is a lot to love about this movie including great performances, a creative plot, wonderful costuming, a John Williams soundtrack and one of the great Drew Struzan posters!

But the film also never really successfully transports you. It looks like an extremely elaborate stage production that happens to be filmed. Sets are amazing (at times I felt like they upstaged the actors)... but they are sets. From the wire work to the deliberate staging and blocking, it just feels like a play. As a result, I was entertained by the play, but I was never transported to Neverland.

Robin Williams, as Pan, seems like a good idea on paper but because he is impossible to believe as the obsessed with work, business acquisitions manager, his transition to "Peter Pan" was not really believable for me. He always just seemed like, "Robin Williams."

Much of why I like Hook comes down to the writing. It's just a really good concept, cleverly executed with a great message for audiences. There is also genuine humor and heartfelt emotion. And let's not overlook how good Dustin Hoffman and Bob Hoskins are.

NOTE: This never bothered me until I was a grown up and had to pay the gas bill - Does anyone close doors or windows in this movie! From the moment Panning and his family arrive in London, they walk in Wendy's house and leave the door wide open. Then we constantly see windows open. It's the dead of winter with snow falling and windows are just left wide open! Close the WINDOWS!

Maybe I need to find my youthful spirit...

Comments

Popular Posts